English is the lingua franca of today’s world. It is estimated that 1.5 billion people on Earth speak English, nearly 80 percent of whom speak it as a second language. English is one of the official languages of most international organizations, and it is also the most common language for international media products such as TV shows and movies. English is the default language for international business operations, and it is also one of the most commonly used languages for academic and scholarly learning. As a result, a growing number of international students are looking to discover whether building their English writing skills will benefit them. In this article, we’ll take a look at English writing skills and examine some of their benefits and how to improve your skills.
Why It Is So Important to Write Better in English
The first question to consider is why you should want to improve your English writing skills. There are obviously a few important reasons to do so.
- English writing skills are essential for excelling in English-language education programs at colleges and universities worldwide. You will need to be able to write in English to take courses that are offered in English.
- English writing skills are essential for excelling in the business world. Because most of the world’s international business is conducted in English, having great English writing skills is a major advantage when you enter the job market.
- English writing skills are essential for today’s multimedia communications environment. The best-paying jobs in media and communication are those that involve English-language communication. If you want to write to get noticed, you need to write in English.
What is your ultimate goal for improving English writing skills? Do you want to write essays faster and easier? Is your academic advancement stuck because your English is not enough for all the assignments? Do you want to do better at your job or create a quality e-portfolio in English and work online? Before you start reading the next part and choose the ways to improve your English, come up with this clear goal. Otherwise, you will soon lose interest and motivation. Language itself cannot be a goal — you need “a goal behind a goal.” Are you ready?
How to Improve English Writing Skills Once and Forever
So, what can you do to improve your English writing skills? There are a number of techniques that can help you to build your English writing skills. Don’t try to implement them altogether, it won’t work. Start with one, maximum two, and continue only once you get used to them and see the result. It is important not to jump from one technique to another before you see at least some improvement.
- Practice writing in English every day. One of the most important ways to build your English writing skills is to write in English every day. It doesn’t matter what kind of writing you do. Writing an academic essay, a short story, or social media postings are all ways to build your skills. The most important thing is that you are practicing the art of putting words together to form coherent, complete sentences that convey your ideas accurately and effectively.
- Read great writing in English. When you read great writing, you learn how effective writers play with language and use it to convey meaning. By reading some of the best literature in English, you’ll develop more of a feel for how to use English effectively and can take lessons from it as you develop your own English-language writing.
- Build your vocabulary. One of the keys to developing great writing is having the right words to express what you mean. Building your English vocabulary will make your writing richer and smoother. Unlike many other languages, English favors diversity of expression and frowns on using the same word multiple times close together. The bigger your vocabulary, the better you’ll be at sounding natural in English.
- Know the differences in regional English. The way you write in English also depends heavily on the audience you’re targeting. English isn’t the same the world over. For example, everyone knows that British and American spelling is very different. But did you know that English-speakers use very different ways to say some common things, and these will instantly mark where you learned English. In India, for example, it is common to say “revert” where Americans would say “return” or “get back to me.” Similarly, South Asian English speakers often ask clients to “address” them, while North Americans ask them to “contact” them.
- Take a writing course. Another great way to build your writing skills is to take a college-level course in writing from an English-language college or university. This will give you experience working with English at a high level as well as structured feedback from a trained instructor.
Look for All the Help You Can Get
If you are looking to build your English writing skills online, the help of a professional essay writing company like SmartWritingService.com can be a major benefit. When you need online help with writing essays, this company can provide you with a custom paper fast. This online service offers trustworthy and reliable essay writing for college and university students like you. When you work with a professional writer, you’ll have access to the kind of experience and expertise you can’t find in most online writing help services. These writers have produced top quality papers for students like you for years and build off the skills they honed in pursuing their own advanced degrees in their fields of expertise. No matter what kind of writing you need done, Smart Writing Service has the expert writers who can turn your biggest English writing challenges into your greatest English writing successes. Learning from the best and the brightest was always the most efficient way to learn something. Don’t hesitate to ask for assistance when you are not sure what to do with one or another writing assignment.