Yoga is not merely physical exercise highly sounded by practitioners but eightfold (अष्टाङ्ग योग) exercise for harmonious development of the body, mind and soul. It is essentially a process of cleansing and maintaining the body and disciplining the mind and spirit. It has a curative effect on the whole body.
- Yama (यम) (Abstinence):- moral conduct (अहिंसा, ब्रह्मचर्य तथा अपरिग्रह) and truthfulness (सत्य,अस्तेय).
- Niyamma (नियम) (Observance):-Contentment(शौच, सन्तोष तथा तप) and self-discipline (स्वाध्याय, ईश्वर-प्रणिधान).
- Asanas (Postures):-Physical settings.
- Pranayam (प्राणायाम) ( Regulation of Breath & control):- Inhaling (पूरक), retaining (कुम्भक) and exhaling (रेचक) air in the body.
- Pratyahara (अन्तर्मुखी) (Senses withdrawn):-Controlling senses inwardly.
- Dharna (धारणा) (Contemplation):-Concentrating on one point.
- Dhyana (ध्यान) (Concentration):-Total withdrawl from the outer world. Detaching outer senses.
- Samadhi (समाधि) (Self-realization):-Knowing thyself inwardly, totally disconnecting from the outer world.