Below is the Activity of Burning of Magnesium ribbon
Let us know about your questions, feedback or comments through the comment box
Burning of a Magnesium Ribbon in air and collection of magnesium oxide in a watch glass–
- Clean a magnesium ribbon about 2 cm long by rubbing it with sandpaper.
- Hold it with a pair of tongs.
- Burn it using a spirit lamp or burner and collect the ash so formed in a watch-glass as shown in this figure.
- Burn the magnesium ribbon keeping it as far as possible from your eyes.
- Observation- Magnesium ribbon burns with a dazzling white flame and changes into a white powder. This powder is magnesium oxide. It is formed due to the reaction between magnesium and oxygen present in the air.